Saturday, June 27, 2015

Refrigerator Bread & Butter Pickles

The slices are Bread & Butter, the spears are Dill I made the same day!

Thinly slice cucumber and sweet onion and layer them into 1-quart canning jar(s).  Be sure to pack the in the jar tightly as they will shrink when the hot brine is added.

For each jar you need to measure into a saucepan and bring to a steaming simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved:

1 1/2 cups vinegar (I used half white and half cider vinegar)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
If you like them spicy, add up to 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper

Pour hot liquid over cucumbers and onions in jar,wipe rims and put tight fitting lids on.  Store in refrigerator.  Can be eaten after 48 hours.  (I tasted after about 48 hours and thought they needed a little more time to develop the flavor... I'd double the time, anyway for my tastes.)

No comments: